Saturday, January 19, 2013

Lucy Tunic

One morning before the holidays I found myself standing at the end of a line that wrapped around the perimeter of Joanne's with coupon in hand and a pile of cut fabric too large and too discounted to abandon. I knew I wouldn't be able to use much of that fabric until after the new year - too many preparations to complete, guests to host, birthday parties to plan. Now that we are on the other side of that lovely frenzy I am excitedly beginning to dig through my bounty and get to work on some projects that have been on the back burner for weeks. First on my list was this Lucy Tunic for Ava.



I used a stretch denim for the outer layer (just because the color struck me, really) and a quilting cotton by Denise Schmidt for the lining. The tunic has pockets - which you know are irresistible to children who always need a place to store the treasures they collect along their journeys - and can be made reversible. I chose to keep it simple for now; making it reversible in the future would be as easy as adding buttons to the lining side. The pleated cap sleeves add a sweet touch and lend the tunic well to layering in cooler weather, though I think it will be cute on its own come spring. I made the 3T size and it is a bit large for my slight girl right now.
Overall, the pattern was pretty clear and the top came together easily despite a mindless error resulting from a bit of multi-tasking while using sharp scissors (note to self: when clipping seam allowances, don't actually clip the seam). Ava says it's comfy and that it's "like an apron" - which I suppose is a compliment because she was happy to wear it. I loved these from Ash over at everything else we do so much, I'm thinking I might like to make another Lucy Top in a cute echino print. Ah, but that would require another trip to the fabric store, and there is still a lovely pile just waiting to be cut into...

10 comments:

  1. I love this! the colors are great. I've been thinking about this pattern for a while but haven't yet...i didn't realize it had pockets too! Very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! If you're inclined, I say go for it. It's simple and versatile. And yes, pockets!

      Delete
  2. This is lovely, and looks amazing on her. I think I want one for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim! I often think my daughter's wardrobe is much nicer than mine will ever be. ;)

      Delete
  3. lucy tunic has been on my to do list for months! unfortunately, it will probably be several more before i actually get to it. so many intense knitting projects underway. i love it! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't wait to see what you're cooking up, girl.

      Delete
  4. The tunic is adorable on your little girl! I love the colors.:)

    Cindy
    stopping by from the Train to Crazy link party

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really pretty! I love the colors you chose! she looks adorable:)

    ReplyDelete